Posted on | December 8, 2011 | No Comments
Earl Grey Tea
Earl Grey tea seems to always go well with fruits or citrus of any kind including oranges and cranberries. Earl Grey flavor is better known as oil of bergamot from the Italian fruit, citrus bergamia.
Any time of year is cranberry time and the new flavored dried cranberries are wonderful. Substitute Pomegranate or Blueberry Cranberries for a tweak, allow the bread to dry and then give it a sparse drizzly swiggle of royal icing.
We used Twinings Earl Grey tea bags however there are other fine brands of Earl Grey tea, too.
Earl Grey Cranberry Bread
1/4 cup boiling water
4 Earl Grey teabags
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup sugar
3 each large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 Tbs orange zest, grated (zest of one orange)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Butter and flour a loaf pan or bundt pan or use baking spray.
2. Infuse tea bags in 1/4 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Squeeze out all the liquid, discard the bags and allow the tea to cool.
3. Toast walnuts on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden in color. Do not allow to over bake. Cool then chop finely.
4. Beat together the eggs and sugar until smooth and pale yellow. Add soft butter. Beat well.
5. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Lightly dust the cranberries with some of the flour mixture in a separate bowl and set aside.
6. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. When well mixed, add the tea and stir well. Add the walnuts and stir. Gently fold in the cranberries. Do not over mix. Turn the batter into a prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Yield: 1 loaf or 1 bundt cake
Oven Temperature: 350°F
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Earl Grey Cranberry Tea Bread is perfect as a hostess gift, for a tea party or a home alone treat!
Have a favorite Earl Grey recipe? We’d love to know about it.
Share the recipe with friends!